As pet lovers, we surely want to share everything with our furred companions. We share our hearts, homes, even half of our beds with them. Moreover, if they start to stare at us with those big eyes, we might start to share our food too!
Yes, you may think that feeding your dog the delicious food you enjoy the most as a special treat is also excellent. Some dog trainers even eventually give human food as rewards during training. But wait. Can you give human food to your dogs? Are you sure that those foods are the best dog training treats?
Is it safe?
Well, we can’t really say yes or no to this question. It is because some of the human food is relatively safe for your dogs, but other food can be toxic. Even the relatively safe food can bring more harm than good for your four-legged friends if you give them without moderation. So the question should be what kind of human food you feed them, instead of can you feed them with human food.
Human food your dogs should avoid
Some food like vegetables and fruits are just fine if you give them to your dog with moderation. But some food is just better, being kept away from your dogs. Here is the list of food that might be delicious for humans but can be dangerous for canines.
- Chocolate. Chocolate can stop their metabolic process, speed up their heart rate, and stimulate their nervous system. And oh, the darker chocolate is, the more toxic it can be for your dogs.
- Grapes. Although some fruits are relatively safe, grapes should be on your blacklist, for it may cause kidney issues.
- Sugary snacks and candies. Sugar and candies can cause rash, obesity, and diabetes.
- Xylitol. Foods containing xylitol, a sugar substitute, can be even more deadly for dogs.
- Onions. Onions contain n-propyl disulfide, which is in high concentrations and is toxic to dogs.
- Salted butter and fatty foods.
Human food you can share with your dogs
Although some foods are dangerous for your dogs, other human foods are just fine and can actually benefit our furred friends. The following is the list of human food you can give to your dogs without worries.
- Chicken. You can give cooked, boneless and skinless chicken meat as a treat for your dogs. Remember, do not add any spices and salt.
- Cheese. Cheese can be ‘manna from heaven’ for your dogs (but if your dog is lactose intolerant, do not give them any). We recommend you to go with the low-fat cheese like cottage cheese and mozzarella
- Berries. You can freeze strawberries and raspberries and feed it to your dogs as a sweet, icy treat.
- Honey, fish, and eggs also can be delicious treats for your dogs.
Actually, both lists still go on and on, and you can ask your vet about the continuation of the lists. Remember that you should always ask your veterinarian when you are planning to change or add something to your dog’s diet. You can ask about the right amount and what kind of food is suitable for your dogs. Of course, you can also search for any information about the best training treats for your pets here.